Sunday, April 28, 2013

New Beginnings: Our Little Container Garden!


We really wanted to have a raised bed garden this year. But I realized that the amount of shade in our (tiny) backyard probably wouldn't be conducive to growing an abundance of vegetables. So instead, we've decided to grow things in front of our duplex in containers, and then stake tomato plants along the side of the house. 

It's probably a good idea to start small. I don't have a green thumb, but I want it to get greener. We love to cook with fresh herbs, so I had a grand old time picking out some of my favorites at the nursery. 

I did manage to pick up a few tips at the nursery. For example, when planting herbs in containers, it's important not to plant seedlings of the same variety together, because they take the same nutrients from the soil. It's better to plant mixes of herbs, like we did this afternoon. I'm glad I learned that today, because otherwise I would have planted all 3 basil plants in the same container. 

Take a mini-tour of our tiny container garden!













 






'






And this is the Earth Box. Friends, I have to say that I am very skeptical of the Earth Box. Greg pointed out that I have no reason to be, because the people who made it know a lot more about gardening than we do. I just don't trust it, you know? I kept asking as we were cutting the holes, "Will the lettuce be able to come up through this? Are you sure? Are you SURE?" Also, it gets watered through the plastic tube. I don't completely understand, but I'm eager to try it.

We planted 8 green lettuces and 8 red lettuces. The little red guys are a little bit behind the green ones in growing, but pretty soon we will have a lovely salad mix! 






Next weekend, we're going to plant tomatoes! I want Cherokee purple, because they are my favorite for salads/sandwiches, and tomatillos, because homemade salsa verde is one of the best tastes of summer. Do you have another favorite? An heirloom variety we should really try this year?






Photos taken by Greg. Isn't he wonderful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment